The skin of Moses' face shone because he had been talking with God. -Exodus 34:29

Friday, March 8, 2013

Lenten Reflection 3/8




 

This morning, as I do on Friday mornings, I read the local paper.  This is the only paper I subscribe to - I get most of my news from NPR and online sources.  But I like to keep up with what's going on in my town.  (and I like to have a weekly crossword puzzle to do on my day off...)  Our paper has lots of calendar events, human interest stories, obituaries, classifieds and other local ads and a few local news items that help keep me in the know.  But what the paper is most full of is arguments between town leaders on various issues that are waged as battles through letters to the editor.  The bulk of political news about our town is conveyed in this way.  One week a politician declares he's right about something.  The next week an opponent blows holes in his argument and insults him.  The next week, the politician fires back, questioning the opponent's integrity.  There is no shortage of strong opinions in Trumbull, it seems, on topics ranging from from campaign signs to political endorsements to the budget.  Lately, the hot topic is the management, or in some people's opinion, the mismanagement of a senior housing development here in town.

I don't know.  After living here over three and a half years now, I still really have very little understanding of what's really going on politically here in Trumbull.  I've gotten to know a number of town leaders personally, and find them all likable.  However, the way they work (or don't work) together and how decisions are made here is still a great mystery to me.  I think that like in many small towns, you really need to be around for a long time before you understand how things actually get done.  

While as a relative newcomer, I find myself wondering how to figure out what's really going on, I'm beginning to realize that people's opinions and arguments are the big news around here.  There are lots of people who've lived here all their lives, and they care who says what.  People care who and what their trusted friends endorse.  People take sides because of personal friendships.  Small towns like Trumbull tend to put personalities before the issues.  I see this played out in the paper every single week.

What really happened  at that senior housing development that has caused months of public argument?  I'm still not really sure and I read this paper cover to cover each week.  What I do know is that some people felt insulted, hurt and offended by how something was handled during the hurricane last fall.  People are still mad at each other about this and want everyone to know who made the most outrageous insinuations and who insulted whose mother.  Really.  It goes on and on.  I've often commented while reading this paper that if I were considering Trumbull as a place to live and I got the paper to check the place out, I'd be pretty turned off by the many mean spirited letters sent to the paper by our various leaders and prominent citizens week after week.

Paul tells the Romans in chapter 6 that being a slave to self is sin.  Freedom only comes when you come out of yourself and listen to God, to the world, to others.  And Jesus says "If I turned the spotlight on myself, it wouldn't amount to anything."  There's something bigger in this world than our own opinions, our own view of things, our own arguments, our own reputations.  Many of the combative letters to the editor in our local paper are like self-focused spotlights and they really don't amount to anything.  They don't give readers any clarity at all about the real issues facing our town.  They haven't informed residents of the direction we need to move together to grow and thrive and care for our citizens.  And they certainly don't inspire anyone to want to get involved in leadership on a town level.

I would urge everyone in a leadership position in our town, whether they have been elected, appointed - or just known by name or reputation - to begin thinking more about how they can publicly come together around the common good of our community rather than just trying to top each other in appearing to be either the most righteous or most martyred in their very public letters to the editor.


Today's readings:  Jer. 11:1-8,14-20; Rom. 6:1-11; John 8:33-47
Saturday's readings: Jer. 13:1-11; Rom. 6:12-23; John 8:47-59
Sunday's readings: Jer. 14:1-9,17-22; Gal. 4:21-5:1; Mark 8:11-21
Elsa is praying the daily readings and praying the news and blogging about it on the weekdays of Lent.
She is reading The Message translation this year.







No comments:

Post a Comment