The skin of Moses' face shone because he had been talking with God. -Exodus 34:29

Monday, April 2, 2012

Spaciousness



It probably comes as no surprise to anyone at all familiar with the Episcopal Church that Holy Week is the busiest week of a parish priest's year.  There are five significant services this week - and they are all unusual, once-a-year events that take more planning than usual.  This year at Grace we're having a vigil service - the first vigil that we've had here in a very long time.  The vigil is a fancy and complicated service with all kinds of extras - a bonfire, candles, incense, chanting, lots of different readers, baptisms - the bishop is even coming to celebrate the service with us this year, along with our neighboring clergy.  It is the first vigil I have planned myself and I have been overwhelmed by all the details.  I have been in a bit of a panic, to tell the truth.

Today I finally put the finishing touches on all the ends I considered to be loose around this big service in my own mind, and I feel much better.  And the calm that has come over me has been a reall gift.  Because now I feel ready to travel through Holy Week in a way that I am open to receiving - not just giving.  I don't think it's only priests that can fall into the trap of managing their work, or their lives, in such a way that you become separated from it - almost as if you're watching yourself and what you are doing instead of actually being present and participating in it.  Have you ever had that feeling in your life or work?  I have, and of all weeks, Holy Week is not the week I want to feel that way.

Because the truth is - Holy Week is not primarily the busiest week of the year.  It is the holiest week of the year.  It can be a spiritual portal into new life - if I allow God to work in me.  Why would I want to be preoccupied with what I think my work is when God wants to work through me?  All the preparations we do at a church for Holy Week are not for ourselves.  They are for God.  And God is for us.  So really - what is there to worry about?

So I am glad I was able to get enough details settled today to allow myself the peace and the space to be able to receive - to listen - to rest - to contemplate - to hope - as this week progresses.  I pray the same spaciousness for you. 

If you'd like to experience the beauty of our Holy Week liturgies, you can find the schedule here:

http://gracetrumbull.org/templates/System/details.asp?id=47651&PID=767044

No comments:

Post a Comment