The skin of Moses' face shone because he had been talking with God. -Exodus 34:29

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Creating a Positive Space


The Church enjoying the Garden Party at the Rectory on Sunday
My kids (and I) have always enjoyed a video game called Sim City. In it, your job is to set up an area for people to live and work in - you zone it, put in water pipes and electricity and sanitation - and if you create positive space, all of a sudden the Sims just start moving in. It's a riot to watch these little virtual people set up businesses and build houses.  If you've created a good space for them, the city thrives and the Sims are happy.
Ron, Kim, Donna, Elsa and Alison
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
John, Elsa and Nat
My parents were great entertainers.  They often had either a few couples over for dinner or a whole bunch of people over for a party.  I remember watching from the top of the stairs in my pajamas or peeking around the corner as they laughed and visited in the livingroom.  I also remember my mother fussing and preparing for her parties for days on end.  As a child, that seemed to me to be her job - to keep the house neat and clean, shop for needed supplies, cook vats of food, bake tons of sweets and prepare the house for guests.  Everything would be ready for a party well in advance - even the table would be be set the day before the party with pressed linens and the good china and crystal.  I got the impression from all this that entertaining was a really big deal - and a ton of work.  Something I would certainly never have the time for.
 
Parishioners who've been at Grace more than 50 years
and less than one year.
But I've discovered that I really like having people over.  And happily, I've learned just lately that entertaining doesn't have to be done the way my mother did it.  If I want to enjoy time with friends, it doesn't really take all that much effort to put something together.  If your main goal is to have a spotless house and really impressive food, well, it's going to take some time.  But if your main goal is to set up some positive space for people to enjoy each others' company, well, there's really not much to that.  Just give them some lemonade in a punchbowl, buy a bunch of cookies and put them out on plates, put a few chairs out on the lawn, and just watch people begin to have fun.

It strikes me that this is becoming my whole approach to being a church, too.  Create a positive space where people feel free to enter - not fussy - not perfect - just open and willing to receive.  Although quality liturgy is important, church is not just about clever sermons, impressive anthems or typo-free bulletins.  Although good programming is important, church is not about providing the perfect program for everyone. 

Elsa with John and Kim, who announced
that they'll be getting married at Grace next year.
Bob and Chris in the background.
I think it comes down to just putting out something for people to eat and drink and creating a comfortable, welcoming and positive space for people to come together, encounter each other and hopefully encounter God in the process. 

Oh, and when God provides a perfectly sunny day it certainly doesn't hurt!






1 comment:

  1. I think you have basically summed up exactly why I love Grace Episcopal so much. It really is a comfortable, welcoming space where we can "come as we are" and grow in our relationship with God and others in our church and community.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete